Monday 10 August 2015

Introduction.

I am a white African.

I've travelled overseas and I allways receive the same infuriating response when I tell people I am Zimbabwean: "But you white!"

(I've noticed but thanks for pointing it out) (Does this person think I'm lieing) (Ah fuck now I have to give another free history lesson about the immigration of my people) (I want to go back to Africa)

Walking around Zimbabwe and passing by a black person who wants to acknowledge my presence, it's either "Boss!" (Don't call me that please Aphartheid is over my friend) or Makiywa/Muzungu (Yes I know I'm an oddity).

When I meet old people who immigrated, "You are from Rhodesia hey?" (No Sir/Maam, incase you a unaware Rhodesia is now called Zimbabwe).

For many people, especially in the West, the phrase 'White African' conjures up steorotypical thoughts of racists, smugglers, hunters, adventurers, persecuted farmers and mercenaries. Some of us are some of these things, all of us are much more.

I am Zimbabwean born and raised, as are both my parents. We all hold Zimbabwean passports and have no way of applying for citizenship in any other country.

A common racial slur which has probably been heard by the majority of white Zimbabweans is "Go back to Europe, this is not your country!"

Ironically most white people would love to be able to immigrate, but no where will take them. A lucky few still hold British passports and can go and work overseas. Some with skills or trades have managed to immigrate to countries such as Australia or New Zealand. Those with ancestral ties to the United Kingdom can apply for ancestral visas that allow them to live and work there, eventually being able to apply for citizenship.

There are those of us that have no where to go, unwanted in our ancestral homes and unwanted in the only one we have.

In the past many of the 'unwanted' could join the Armed Forces of the United Kingdom and earn their citizenship. But even the UK Armed Forces doesn't want us anymore, they require new recruits to have lived in the UK for 5 years before enlistment.

So we get on with our lives as best we can, we 'Make a plan' and we do it well.

Growing up in Africa has been a truely amazing life experience, I will allways be proudly African. Africa is my home, Africans my people.

This blog will be about my life in Africa, as well as my personal thoughts and points of view on a variety of things.

Don't expect political posts or hearing what I have to say about solving the food crisis in Africa. I'm not an activist. Just an average joe with a few stories to share.

1 comment: